Dishes

ChinaPhoto credit: Norththreads

What is the oldest dish you own? Is there a story behind it?

This entry was posted in Just Curious. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Dishes

1. Bev Sykes says:

I can’t think of a special “dish,” but I do have some lovely cups and saucers my grandmother owned, which I remember first seeing when I was a child in the 1940s. I don’t think they are worth anything, but are just pretty. My mother has a set of dishes that belonged to my godmother which have a fascinating history…when they belong to me, I’ll share! :)

When it comes to old family dishes, my sister has them. We didn’t actually have pretty stuff until my mother started working, when she could replace the five-and-dime stuff we had. The one thing in that category that I personally have saved is the sugar shell that I wrote about:
    Old Colony

I have some pieces that belonged to my grandmother, but I don’t know any stories about them, and don’t know if any might be older than that.

4. jon says:

My wife, the little French lady. She is quite a “dish”. There is a long story behind it. Old too!!!

Since all our *good stuff* has been packed away in AZ storage for the last 6 years, I’ll have to rely on memory. (Ha!) Probably would be some of the side pieces I inherited when my grandmother passed away. What immediately comes to mind is the set of crystal salt cellars that were hers. I personally do not remember using them but just remember hearing my mother mentioning her dad using them to dip his celery stick pieces into. They are at least pre-1950s. We also have a gorgeous crystal serving bowl that my parents inherited from a WW II buddy of my dad and was passed down to hubby and me when my mother passed away. That bowl had originally belonged to the buddy’s parents. I love serving cranberry sauce in that bowl!

6. melly- says:

I don’t have any dishes with a story, but I do have a set of metal measuring spoons left from the military household goods loaned to us nealy 30 years ago.