Polar Vortex

How are you being affected by the “polar vortex”?

This entry was posted in Just Curious and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Polar Vortex

Mainly being affected by the cold. We’ve turned down the thermostat so the furnace doesn’t have to run quite as often and added extra layers of clothes. We worked diligently on Sunday afternoon to keep the driveway and back patio as clear as possible. We received 12-14 inches of snow on top of 6 inches we’d gotten a few days before. The neighbor helped immensely by insisting on plowing us out to start with. Many, many people are dealing with downed trees and power outages. Thankfully, we were spared. There are numerous “warming shelters” being provided throughout the state for those who have lost power/have no heat. Most businesses and State agencies were closed yesterday but are opening today.

I am so sick of this polar vortex. The other day, I wore my glasses outside on a walk thinking it would keep my face warmer. I didn’t realize that my foggy breath that would normally fade away on them was freezing solid. I actually had to scrape ice off my glasses repeatedly just to see! And don’t even get me started on having my nose freeze solid. The hot water in the air and frozen bubbles and squirt guns will only get you so far. It’s time to warm up!

I feel so bad for the folks farther north who are having such a terrible time. It almost makes me feel guilty to complain about our temps in single digits (for the first time in a number of years), being below freezing for 72 hours, and no snow or ice. But it’s still cold and hard to deal with in this part of the world.

I hope y’all warm up soon.

I live in California. I’m embarrassed to talk about our weather. Suffice to say, shirt sleeves can be worn without overcoat.

I feel blessed that the pipes haven’t frozen. At the same time, I cringe every time I turn on the hot water. The next electric bill will be just about my social security.

6. Sunny says:

LOL…When I ventured outside to check on her at 8:00 this morning my horse had droolsicles on her nose……..It was that COLD!