Two for Tuesday

What two books would you recommend to the readers today?

This entry was posted in books, Just Curious and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Two for Tuesday

I haven’t read anything completely amazing recently. They’ve all just been sort of so-so. So I’ll go back a bit – Beneath the Marble Sky and The Housekeeper and the Professor.

I’m currently reading “American Nations: A History of the Eleven Rival Regional Cultures of North America” by Colin Woodard. It’s a fascinating look at why the various sections of the country (plus Canada and Northern Mexico) are the way they are.

I’m reading so slowly these days that I can only manage one book at a time, and it takes a while. I do better with nonfiction, though.

3. basykes says:

One of the “in” books today is “The Fault in our Stars,” which is technically a young adult book, but really would appeal to anybody…about kids with cancer, but still uplifting.

And an old book I read this year is “Upstairs at the White House,” which is told by the Chief Usher at the White House (J.B. West), who worked there from the FDR administration to the beginning days of Nixon. Fascinating look at the house itself, the first ladies, and things you never knew about the presidency (did you know that the president himself pays for all those fancy White House dinners?)

4. Jon says:

Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell.
    Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Only two? I recently finished The Girls of Atomic City, about Oak Ridge. Best book before that was the Jim Henson biography.

6. aadarshnaari says:

“The Husband’s Secret” by Lianne Moriarty
    “The Lies we told” by Diane Chamberlaine

Both books will make you think deep about your own emotions and relationships.